[Pharmwaste] RE: Record 4.02 Billion Prescriptions in US in 2011

Amy.Roering at co.hennepin.mn.us Amy.Roering at co.hennepin.mn.us
Mon Sep 17 14:00:15 EDT 2012

Perhaps this correlates to the aging population.  Increased longevity, Baby Boomers, and declining birth rates are producing a shift in the age
structure of the population.

See http://www.aoa.gov/aoaroot/aging_statistics/index.aspx

From:	"Matthew C. Mireles" <mirelesmc at earthlink.net>
To:	"Gilliam,Allen" <GILLIAM at adeq.state.ar.us>, "Tenace,Laurie" <Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us>, "pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us"
            <pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
Cc:	Elizabeth Smith <smithce at flash.net>, "Elizabeth A. Smith PhD" <easmith at comofcom.com>
Date:	09/17/2012 12:34 PM
Subject:	Re: [Pharmwaste] RE: Record 4.02 Billion Prescriptions in US in 2011
Sent by:	pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us

Allen, it's quite alarming, and we're not even including prescription drugs (antibiotics, steroids, etc.) given to livestock in our agricultural
industry.  This stat supports the figure that Americans consume about 50% of world's production of pharmaceuticals annually (approx $300 billion;
global production is about $600 billion). We discussed this at your Region 6 meeting.  Of course, counterfeit drugs and illicits are on the rise too.
Police departments are reporting more robbery at pharmacies, not for cash but for narcotics.

Matthew Mireles