[Pharmwaste] RE: Record 4.02 Billion Prescriptions in US in 2011

Fredrick L. Miller millerfl at tricity.wsu.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:53:42 EDT 2012

Matthew, et al
I’ve recently gained some insight into the animal production industry through consulting work.  While animal production consumes a great deal of antibiotics and other pharmaceuticals it does a better job of keeping them out of the drinking water supply than most municipalities do.  The overwhelming majority of animal waste water systems are captive and have no direct connection to either surface or ground water.  Manures are generally converted to sterile composts before land application.  When done properly the composting and application process destroys a significant portion of the pharms in the manure.  Weathering takes care of most of the rest upon application.  Modern feed lots maintain a manure pack seal that prevents infiltration of wastes into groundwater and the waste lagoons are lined to prevent leakage.  It’s not perfect but at least they’re trying.

Fred