[Pharmwaste] Update: DEA FOIL

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Wed Aug 14 13:35:43 EDT 2013

Being interested in the details of the success of the DEA National Take-Back Initiative, I submitted a FOIL request (10/22/12) for the pounds collected at each location for each event.  I understand that a small number of pick-up weights will be for multiple collection sites.  I'm wondering if there is a pattern common to most collection sites that have participated more than once.  Does the weight collected typically increase over successive events?  Or, do most sites see an increase and then level off or drop?  In other words, is the overall increase in the weight collected nationally due primarily to more locations participating or to increases from existing sites?

My FOIL request was denied, the DEA claimed to not have this data.  Knowing that weight information is the only data that regional DEA offices required of participating sites, I appealed (3/7/13) this decision.  I just learned that the appeal was supported by the Chief of the Admin Appeals Staff, Office of Information Policy, at the Dept of Justice.  The request has been sent back to DEA who must make the effort to locate releasable records.

So, I am probably not a popular person right now at DEA simply because I want them to make the effort to collect data from their branch offices.  This data can only make them look good, this is a very successful program.  It will probably take many months before they send anything.  Thought you might appreciate this update.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433