[Pharmwaste] WP Article: We’ve covered the world in pesticides. Is that a problem?

DeBiasi, Deborah (DEQ) Deborah.DeBiasi at deq.virginia.gov
Mon Aug 19 11:01:55 EDT 2013

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/18/the-world-uses-billions-of-pounds-of-pesticides-each-year-is-that-a-problem/?wpisrc=nl_cuzheads

We’ve covered the world in pesticides. Is that a problem?
By Brad Plumer<http://www.washingtonpost.com/brad-plumer/2011/07/28/gIQAPrqSfI_page.html>, Published: August 18 at 9:00 amE-mail the writer<mailto:brad.plumer at gmail.com?subject=Reader%20feedback%20for%20'We’ve%20covered%20the%20world%20in%20pesticides.%20Is%20that%20a%20problem?'>
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/18/the-world-uses-billions-of-pounds-of-pesticides-each-year-is-that-a-problem/#comments>
15<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/18/the-world-uses-billions-of-pounds-of-pesticides-each-year-is-that-a-problem/#comments>

Comments<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/18/the-world-uses-billions-of-pounds-of-pesticides-each-year-is-that-a-problem/#comments>
More<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/18/the-world-uses-billions-of-pounds-of-pesticides-each-year-is-that-a-problem/?wpisrc=nl_cuzheads>
[submit to reddit]<http://www.reddit.com/submit>
Pesticides have become an enduring feature of modern life. In 2007, the world used more than 5.2 billion pounds of weed killers, insecticides, and fungicides to do everything from protecting crops to warding off malaria.
And that’s led many researchers to wonder what sorts of broader impacts all these chemicals are having. They’ve helped feed the world, yes, but they may also be causing health problems elsewhere. To that end, the latest issue of Science has a fascinating special section<http://www.sciencemag.org/site/special/pesticides/index.xhtml> on the world’s pesticide use. Here are a few good charts and highlights:
This is a long article with several informative charts that are best seen on the site.

Deborah L. DeBiasi
Email:   Deborah.DeBiasi at deq.virginia.gov
WEB site address:  www.deq.virginia.gov<http://www.deq.virginia.gov/>
Office of Water Permits
Industrial Pretreatment/Whole Effluent Toxicity (WET) Program
PPCPs, EDCs, and Microconstituents
http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs/Water/PermittingCompliance/PollutionDischargeElimination/Microconstituents.aspx
Mail:          P.O. Box 1105, Richmond, VA  23218
Location:  629 E. Main Street, Richmond, VA  23219
PH:         804-698-4028      FAX:      804-698-4032