[Pharmwaste] Collection Receptacles/Inner Liners New DEA Regs

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Wed Jan 30 11:07:54 EST 2013

Angela,

I think you are absolutely correct.  With the labeling fix you noted, the dVault system of using disposable cardboard boxes lined with plastic bags should be compliant with the new regs.

My situation is different.  The dVault box we use has a heavy duty, reusable plastic tote that we line with a plastic bag.

Ed

>>> Angela Deckers <ADECKERS at cityofboise.org> 1/30/2013 10:54 AM >>>

All – Please correct me if I am wrong, but when I read the proposed requirements for the inner liner I assumed that our 14 inch cube boxes with plastic liners would be the “liner” of our dVault collection containers. When our units are serviced by police officers or evidence room techs, the plastic liner is folded into the cube box which is custody sealed and entered into the police evidence room with a unique tracking number.  The boxes are opaque, no one goes through the contents prior to sealing, and the box is given a tracking number. As far as I can see, the only requirement we may not be meeting is: “size of inner liner must be clearly marked on the outside of the liner.” I would think a sharpie could remedy this requirement.
Feedback would be appreciated, especially if I am missing something.
Thanks.
Angela Deckers
Hazardous Materials Coordinator
Environmental Division, Public Works