[Pharmwaste] DEC Collection--No Civilian Contact in NY

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Thu Mar 14 16:58:50 EDT 2013

April 27th DEC Collection--No Civilian Contact in NY

I was just informed that our DEA regional supervisor had a three hour
meeting with our law enforcement partners.  They were told that we will
not be allowed to conduct our planned, pharmacist lead, inventory of
controlled substances.  No citizens will be allowed to handle the
medications that are turned in anywhere in NYS.  It sounded like an
awkward and uncomfortable meeting for our law enforcement partners.

I don’t understand why our ongoing inventory program is suddenly not
okay.  If the draft rules are adopted as written, inventories will never
be permissible.  Is our regional DEA office jumping the gun, since the
new rules have not yet taken effect?  I can only hope that it does not
relate to my recently denied, and now appealed, FOIA request to DEA.

It is hard for me to not see this as a bad omen regarding the DEA’s
ultimate response to comments calling for some exemption to allow for
scientifically conducted research involving inventory.  It would be a
tremendous loss to not be able to collect data that could help set
prescribing guidelines that would decrease the amount of waste
medication produced.

At my request, local law enforcement has asked the regional DEA office
for clarification on what, if anything, volunteers can help with on
April 27th.  I assume our greeters can still conduct a survey since they
do not contact any medications.  Will we be able to help keep traffic
flowing by holding trays for drivers to deposit meds in and carry them
to the disposal boxes?  If not, we could have a big problem.  A third
and possibly fourth officer would be needed at our main collection site
to prevent cars from back up onto a major road and causing a traffic
jam.  Additional officers may not be available.

Does the DEA expect that screening for mercury thermometers and sharps
will occur?  If so, can volunteers help if bottles aren’t being opened
and an officer is directly supervising?  If not, it is likely that some
mercury will be improperly sent to the incinerator.  The draft DEA rule
makes no prevision for screening for unacceptable items.

I’ll pass on the DEA’s response to these questions as soon as I get
them.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433