[Pharmwaste] From NIH's Medline

Catherine Zimmer zenllc at usfamily.net
Mon Oct 21 10:12:27 EDT 2013

Good morning everyone,
I found this interesting tidbit on Medline this am:
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a698032.html
It seems then, at least according to NIH, pharmacists should be well versed in the proper disposal of pharmaceuticals.  While I realize extraordinary efforts have been made in this regard, its interesting to note NIH has determined this is the professional patients should talk to.
Anyone know the history of this decision by NIH?
Very truly yours,

Catherine Zimmer, MS, BSMT
Principal
Zimmer Environmental Improvement LLC