[Pharmwaste] DEA Rule Publication Update

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri Aug 29 09:54:56 EDT 2014

I just spoke with Dawn Dearson, the Chief of Public Affairs at DEA.
She confirmed that the new rule has been sent to the Federal Register for publication.

Their is no science to when items received are published, and she does not know why it has been delayed.
Considering this holiday weekend, she felt confident that it will be published by the end of the week of September 8th.  The DEA is planning a big roll out, as soon as it is published.

Published items appear on-line before the printed version is available.  The way I have been checking is to keep a Federal Register search page open and refresh it regularly.  The DEA website would be another good place to check.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/search
"FIND": Secure and Responsible Drug Disposal Act of 2010
Search by:  "NEWEST"

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/search?conditions[agency_ids]=116&conditions[publication_date][gte]=07%2F27%2F2014&conditions[term]=Secure+and+Responsible+Drug+Disposal+Act+of+2010&order=newest

Anyone else turning blue yet?  I'm not only blue, now I have a flush of red, from embarrassment, having passed on info that the rule would be out this week!  Hope that doesn't happen again!

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433