[Pharmwaste] Letter to Pharmacies

Ed Gottlieb egottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Wed Feb 26 14:14:50 EST 2014

Hi All,

Below is a draft of a letter my group wants to send (probably this
Friday) to all of our local pharmacies and their corporate HQ's (one of
our local pharmacies is not part of a chain.)  We may offer a free
drop-box to one pharmacy if we think it will get them to participate
when they otherwise wouldn't have.
Please send me any corrections, or other suggestions, you have for the
letter.  Thanks!

Ed

February 28, 2014

Dear Pharmacist,

As you are probably aware, the DEA announced that they will publish, in
March, a new rule regarding the collection and disposal of unwanted
medications.  Creating the new rule was required by the Secure and
Responsible Drug Disposal Act, signed into law in 2010.

There are several key provisions anticipated to be included in the
rule, most notably allowing pharmacies to take-back all unwanted and/or
unused medications, including controlled substances.  It is also
expected that pharmacies will be allowed to set-up collection stations
in Long-term Care Facilities. Participation will be a voluntary public
service; there will be no federal funding available to implement
take-back programs. The rule should include requirements governing
collection procedures, storage containers, and disposal requirements.

Another expected key measure is a ban on the disposal of medications
via trash or flushing.  Once the rule is published, our organization is
planning a public education effort.  We would like to publicize all of
the local take-back options that are available.

We are happy that a more convenient option, compared to the drop-boxes
we placed in law enforcement buildings, could soon be available.
Considering the extensive publicity that CVS recently received for no
longer selling tobacco, we think any pharmacy that takes advantage of
this new opportunity will benefit.  Clearly, the first pharmacy in the
area to offer this service will get the most media attention.

Does your pharmacy have plans to host a drop-box at your location?  If
so, when is it expected to be open to the public?  We would be happy to
help promote your program.

We are available for consultation if you have any questions regarding
the new DEA rule or about how to set up a take-back program.  Please
don’t hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal *
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY 14850

* The Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal includes representatives
of:
Tompkins County (TC) Health Dept., TC Administration, TC Sheriff,
Lifelong (a senior’s group), Community Coalition for Healthy Youth,
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility, and an RN “at large” member.
More information can be found at:
http://www.healthyyouth.org/medication-disposal.php

Cc: Corporate HQ