[Pharmwaste] Indiana Attorney General and Dept of Environmental Managment Commissioner Urge Partcipaation in Yellow Jug Program

Chris Angel info at greatlakescleanwater.org
Tue Jul 15 08:22:10 EDT 2014

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventList.aspx?fromdate=7/14/2014&todate=7/27/2014&display=&type=public&eventidn=176722&view=EventDetails&information_id=203880

Yellow Jug Old Drug program expands to Indiana

New program provides consumers a safe and convenient way to dispose of unwanted drugs year-round

INDIANAPOLIS – Started by the Great Lakes Clean Water Organization (GLCW) in 2008, the Yellow Jugs Old Drugs Program partners with local pharmacies and the Indiana Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force to provide secure and responsible drug disposal.  The Yellow Jugs Old Drugs program addresses the
fact that there are very limited ways to dispose of unwanted drugs.  Now, consumers can take their unwanted medication to any participating pharmacy year-round for a safe disposal option while reducing the amounts of chemicals showing up in our water.
This week pharmacies across Indiana will be receiving a letter encouraging them to join the program.

National data shows that 71% of people misusing prescriptions obtain them from friends or relatives.  Additionally, about 78,000 children under five years of age are treated for poisoning in hospital emergency rooms and approximately 30 children under age five die as a result of unintentional
poisoning in the U.S. each year.  These numbers are what has driven Indiana’s Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force to focus on increasing access to disposal locations.
“Prescription drug abuse is a rampant problem in our state, and as co-chair of the Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force I recognize the need for increased disposal locations and the Yellow Jugs Old Drugs Program helps address this shortage," Attorney General Greg Zoeller said.  “Proper disposal of
unused medicine spans a broad range of issues including public and environmental health, water quality, solid waste management, law enforcement, and the health care industry.”
“The Yellow Jug Old Jug Program not only decreases the volume of expired or unused prescription drugs in our medicine cabinets, it could also have a beneficial impact on the environment and the state’s fresh water supply,” said Thomas Easterly, Commissioner of the Indiana Department of
Environmental Management (IDEM).
Participating in this program, Ralph Anderson R.Ph, owner of Crowder’s Pharmacy in Bedford, IN, says “Yellow Jug Old Drugs offers our pharmacies an affordable and convenient drug disposal program.  Their innovative technology allows our pharmacies to dispose of thousands of doses of medication
in space saving jugs.  Their quarterly pick up program is also a big plus for pharmacies.”
For a list of participating pharmacies and more information visit www.greatlakescleanwater.org or www.bitterpill.in.gov.
Contact Information:
Name: Jaime Barb
Phone: 317-234-8105