[Pharmwaste] RE: Anyone using Cactus Sink?

Jeff Hollar jhollar at pwaste.com
Sun Jun 22 13:58:31 EDT 2014

Let me start of by stating I believe the Smart Sink is a better
environmental option than drain disposal for DEA Controls.  I have two
questions that primarily deal with the compliance of DEA's current
regulations.

Earlier this year I checked with our local (Des Moines) DEA office and they
were very clear that for DEA Registrants, the Cactus Smart Sink, by itself,
was not an acceptable technology for the disposal of DEA controls.  It's my
understanding that they received their direction from the St. Louis
division.  Any controlled substances in the cartridge were to be handled as
if they were in their original final dosage form.  Meaning, any transference
to another DEA Registrant would be subject to DEA regs (e.g., control
inventory, DEA Form 222, etc) and in turn, any disposal would be subject to
DEA regulations (e.g., control inventory, DEA Form 41).  This makes sense to
me because if the DEA felt the Smart Sink rendered the controlled substances
unrecoverable, then the facility would have the option of simply discarding
their cartridge in their regular trash (with some exceptions).  Question #1
- Are other DEA regional divisions consistent with this position?

Question #2 - If your facility takes the stance that the DEA controls being
disposed of are owned by the patient (ultimate user) and not the DEA
registrant (hospital), then under today's current DEA regulations, how can
you transfer DEA controlled substances owned by non-DEA registrant (ultimate
user) to a DEA registrant (reverse distributor) for disposal?  In other
words how can a DEA Registrant accept controlled substances from a non-DEA
Registrant?

As far as the hazardous waste side...  Introducing hazardous drugs into the
cartridge may increase your hazardous waste generation which in turn could
affect your generator status.  Not to mention the EPA and DOT regulatory
handling of the resulting waste.  Something to consider if you choose to
discard hazardous drugs in the Smart Sink.  In all the Cactus literature I
reviewed, I could find no specific reference to RCRA hazardous drugs and
usage in the Smart Sink.

Are there any representatives on this listserv from: Cactus LLC, EXP, DEA or
EPA that could give us some insight?

Jeff Hollar

President

PharmWaste Technologies, Inc.