[Pharmwaste] inconsistent message

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Thu Nov 13 16:15:06 EST 2014

Hello everyone,
I sent emails on the inconsistent messaging and received a reply today from FDA. I attached the content, so you can see whether you want to copy something and send a similar message. FDA stated: "We strive to make our web pages as consistent as possible. We will be considering the recent changes by DEA and revising our web pages as appropriate."

I've seen a bit of change, so they are working on it, but I think they are missing the point: 1) Use collection programs or 2) sewer if there is a chance someone will be poisoned and 3) make clear it is guidance, not required. I think we can live with that. I noticed they now refer to the DEA's collection events. That's new...and DEA is no longer doing those, so...I will write back to them to let them know that, because, clearly, they are not communicating with DEA, unless DEA is going to still do events, but I believe we've heard a no on that.  :/

I am thrilled some hospitals/clinics are becoming more concerned about environmental impacts and are switching to other disposal methods when it is clearly more expensive than sewering!

There are various links to disposal guidance from FDA, here's the one that goes from ONDCP to FDA:
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm101653.htm

I also ended up somewhere on a NIH website and tried to download prescription labels to see if sewering was "mandated" on those and it wouldn't let me download them. Probably a good thing. Changing the labeling and instructions that go home with the patient is another area that needs work. I am hopeful things will really change when pharmacies start collecting and making the changes needed to printed materials so customers use their bins.

JV