[Pharmwaste] inconsistent message

Catherine Zimmer zenllc at usfamily.net
Fri Nov 14 10:45:45 EST 2014

Hi all,

I stand corrected.  Apparently DEA sent out a clarification letter on Oct.
17 (http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drug_disposal/)  regarding the
disposal of dispensed CS intended to be wasted.  Recording of the waste is
still required, but the new irretrievable standard does not apply and the
"wastage" cannot be put in a collection container, although DEA states the
disposal must conform to all applicable local, state, federal and tribal
law.

So, once again DEA doesn't provide for appropriate disposal of dispensed CS
and relies on other fuzzy laws.  And, this appears to allow healthcare
facilities to continue sewering controlled substances theoretically because
they are "small quantities".  University of Iowa Hospitals sewer 35 liters
of hydromorphone every year; multiply that amount by every hospital in the
US and every type of CS to be dispensed and that does not appear to be a
"small quantity".

Very truly yours,

Catherine Zimmer, MS, BSMT

Zimmer Environmental Improvement, LLC