[Pharmwaste] RE: New Product for Drug Disposal--not

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Wed Oct 8 15:52:04 EDT 2014

I invited comments and now I’m just going to provide more quotes to reinforce my initial point. Sorry.
The note in the message string says:

“Drug Dispose All is NOT for disposing of hazardous materials or chemicals.” We can interpret that sentence plus this from the website “The Disposal of Medication and Controlled Substances is Now Affordable” to mean it isn’t to be used for something other than medications, which is a good point to make. If we look more at the website, we see, well first we see the name Drug Dispose All, then:

“Drug Dispose All renders tablets, capsules, patches, synthetics, liquids and all controlled substances inert in just minutes.” Note the “and” which is in all of the sentences.
”Drug Dispose All offers a more affordable way for institutional disposal of medication. Methods such as incineration, reverse distribution or disposal in landfills can be costly and may delay the prompt disposal of pills, patches and other controlled substances. For example, incineration can be as much as 20% more costly than the Drug Dispose All system.”
“Making sure expired and unused drugs are properly disposed of is one of today’s biggest liabilities for hospitals,…”

Nowhere does it say it is only to be used for non-haz controlled substances. It implies use for all.

Please know I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing. We’ve had situations here in MN where a company presented and sold a similar product to pharmacies, leading them to believe they could use this system for management of any pharms and that trash disposal would be in compliance with RCRA. Another came to sell boxes to ship all pharms (excluding CS, but not HW pharms), and again, led pharmacies to believe that they could put any HH pharm that wasn’t a CS in the box and mail it somewhere. Neither of these systems comply with MN rules and/or Board Statutes and caused a whole lot of trouble for the dozen pharmacies that bought into the systems without first checking Board of Pharmacy and MPCA regulations. There could be more out there using any of these systems now, believing they are doing the right thing. I don’t want to see pharmacies and institutions set up for non-compliance when they are making a good faith effort to help with the problem.

As I noted before, there is value to nearly immediately changing pills into inedible goo. Emphasize that vs disposal. Put a large note on your website that pharmacists should contact their Pharmacy Board and Fed, State or County disposal authority to find out if the system is compliant for disposal of all pharms or just some. Simple, then we’re good to go! We had another company actually check with us and decide to wait on selling their system to pharmacies until our rules were revised.

“Meets the standard for non-retrievable established by the DEA, EPA, CDC, and FDA” is repeated several times on the website. We all know that the DEA has the non-retrievable standard, not the EPA, CDC or FDA. What is implied by including all of these agencies in that sentence?

Other statements on the website are just interesting:
“The general public and government regulators trend toward anti-incineration views due to public perception and the clean air regulations based on state and federal limits.”
“Drug Dispose All is safer, faster & 20% more affordable than Red Waste incineration.”

An 8 oz bottle of DrugDisposeAll is $11.95 + $5.95 shipping on Amazon. A 128 oz jug is $85.

I think others are checking on the report they will provide if you call. This is another of the numerous proprietary chemical jug/bottle/sink processes out there. For MPCA, we’d need to know that a different protocol was in place for managing HW pharms; that only non-haz pharms are put in the jugs; and we’d need TCLP results (probably from a pharmacy/generator, I don’t think we do blanket approvals), to determine whether it could be used as a disposal system. MPCA does not have an opinion on whether it meets DEA non-retrievable standards.

JV

P.S. I can’t get your Zenith Environmental website to open!