[Pharmwaste] RE: law enforcement disposal

Jaramillo, Jeanie Jeanie.Jaramillo at ttuhsc.edu
Tue Oct 14 11:52:51 EDT 2014

Completely agree.  We are already getting questions from law enforcement here as well.  The nearest incinerators for pharmaceuticals from my area are an 8-10 hour drive.  The DEA days provided convenient disposal options for local law enforcement.  Now, those departments that installed receptacles are strapped for resources (both personnel and financial) for disposal.

Our program (which kept all of the non-controls) has a contract with a waste manager to pick up our non-controls and take them to an approved incinerator for disposal at ~$0.70 / pound.  We're going to check with our contractor to see if they meet the new criteria to pick up controls as well.  If so, perhaps we can arrange for additional stops at our local law enforcement sites.  This would sure beat our officers trying to use "high end burn barrels."

Another idea is some sort of joint effort between law enforcement.  Our area is primarily rural.  If one department rents a truck every six months, or so, and has an officer drive from dept to dept picking up the meds....then driving them to the waste management/reverse distributor site, that might work.

Jeanie Jaramillo, PharmD
Managing Director, Texas Panhandle Poison Center
Asst. Professor, Texas Tech UHSC School of Pharmacy
1300 S. Coulter St., Suite 105
Amarillo, TX 79106
(office): (806)414-9299
(mobile): (806)376-0039