[Pharmwaste] NYT Story on DEA Rule corrections (!)

Lotzer Donna M DLotzer at uwhealth.org
Tue Sep 9 10:43:24 EDT 2014

Here are the inaccurate parts I immediately saw...sigh.  Donna
The new programs will be voluntary. Pharmacies may choose to register with the drug agency to take back controlled substances or to receive leftovers through the mail. PHARMACIES WILL NOT BE RECEIVING MAILED IN MEDS - THEY GO DIRECTLY TO THE DISPOSAL SITE.
Police departments often use incinerators, for example, to destroy seized illicit drugs, but a local pharmacy might not be able to accommodate an incinerator, limiting the number that could accept packages of prescriptions by mail. AGAIN PHARMACIES WILL NOT BE DOING INCINERATION FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Donna Lotzer, Senior Clinical Pharmacist
Poison Education Coordinator
University of WI Hospital & Clinics Poison Prevention Center
600 Highland Avenue, MC # 9475, Madison, WI 53792
dlotzer at uwhealth.org<mailto:dlotzer at uwhealth.org>     Phone: 608-265-8160
Please encourage others to save 800-222-1222 in both cell and home phones.
This number will connect callers anywhere in the U.S. to a poison center.
Calls are free, confidential and answered 24/7/365.
Please help me educate your community about poison prevention.
Call or email me for materials or program opportunities.