[Pharmwaste] Pills not burning in Terminator

Shield, Margaret Margaret.Shield at kingcounty.gov
Thu Sep 11 12:04:40 EDT 2014

The Drug Terminator barrel gets me hot under the collar.  My angle on this is that our law enforcement agencies - who have been such excellent partners in providing medicine take-back program to protect their communities - deserve far better than to be exposed to the fumes from this dangerous burn barrel.  Please explain to these agencies that it is not only a regulatory issue, but this device will not completely destroy the pharmaceuticals, or any packaging, and will create harmful combustion byproducts in the emissions, resulting in unknown and unsafe exposure for their employees.

EPA's recommendation for appropriate disposal facilities for collected household medicines is our best guidance at this time.
http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/generation/pharmaceuticals/pharms-take-back-disposal.pdf

Margaret Shield PhD, Policy Liaison
Local Hazardous Waste Management Program in King County
(desk) 206-477-6238
(cell) 206-265-9732
Local Governments for Health and the Environment - www.lhwmp.org<http://www.lhwmp.org/>