[Pharmwaste] Pills not burning in Terminator

Lotzer Donna M DLotzer at uwhealth.org
Thu Sep 11 12:15:42 EDT 2014

What temps does that thing get up to? My guess would be the drug entity is destroyed but you may have time-release meds where there is a hard shell and the drug is inside, and when swallowed it leaches out into the gut through a membrane. The shell is usually eliminated intact in the stools, empty of any drug. In your example it may be that the shell is intact but harmless.

I saw this online: The volume of material is reduced to an average of 1% ash. Non-combustible drug paraphernalia is sterilized by heat and can be disposed in municipal waste. (The entire process appears to be rather crude and inexact.)

Just my guess...Donna

Donna Lotzer, Senior Clinical Pharmacist
Poison Education Coordinator
University of WI Hospital & Clinics Poison Prevention Center
600 Highland Avenue, MC # 9475, Madison, WI 53792
dlotzer at uwhealth.org<mailto:dlotzer at uwhealth.org>     Phone: 608-265-8160
Please encourage others to save 800-222-1222 in both cell and home phones.
This number will connect callers anywhere in the U.S. to a poison center.
Calls are free, confidential and answered 24/7/365.
Please help me educate your community about poison prevention.
Call or email me for materials or program opportunities.