[Pharmwaste] Does activated carbon treatment meet "non-retrievable" standard?

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Mon Apr 13 13:31:11 EDT 2015

Hi All,

In response to inquires regarding destruction products, today I received the attached letter.  It has URLs to a number of studies that show activated carbon in general or the medsaway product in particular work as advertized, given enough hours.

I noted they were written by one of the companies principles or the study was funded by the manufacturer.  Two were presented at conferences.  I wrote back to ask if any have been published in a peer reviewed journal.

Phoned a large activated carbon supplier (buyactivatedcharcoal.com) and they were quite convincing, that once pharmaceuticals bind to the activated carbon, they can't be extracted.  The knowledgeable person I spoke with will follow-up with their expert and send me any published studies they can find that would support this conclusion.
Will pass on what I receive.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433