[Pharmwaste] To: NYers

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Tue Aug 18 11:33:37 EDT 2015

Hi Fellow New Yorkers,

I just sent the letter below to Governor Cuomo [https://www.governor.ny.gov/contact].
Please consider sending a note urging him to sign the bill.  Thanks!

Ed

Dear Governor Cuomo,

September 9th will be the one year anniversary of the DEA rule permitting pharmacies and other authorized distributors of controlled substances to become authorized receivers of all unwanted medications.  New York State remains one of the few (6 or less) states not participating because of state rules that are in conflict with the federal rule.

It is my understanding that a bill to bring us into compliance with the federal rule (A06062 same as S03687) awaits your signature.  Even if the DEA official who told me that states have one year to come into compliance with the federal rule was mistaken, signing this bill on or before the one year anniversary seems appropriate.

Providing citizens with more convenient, safe disposal options will help reduce:
accidental overdoses
illegal diversion &
environmental contamination.

Please sign this bill into law and make NYS safer.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433