[Pharmwaste] Est cost of take back per site?

Chris Angel, President info at greatlakescleanwater.org
Mon Feb 2 13:45:05 EST 2015

Ed and ListServe Info below as of October 2014

		We have demonstrated that the maximum cost per location is $300 per year. This includes all materials to collect unused/unwanted drugs, posters, hand-outs and the transport of collected Rx waste for ultimate disposal/destruction at a high temperature
incinerator. Currently the program has 352 pharmacies participating in MI,IL, WI and IN. OH to be added in October 2015. PA NY to be added in 2015 and we will soon be offering the program to other states. Because of the economy of scale, as the number of pharmacies increase it is feasible that the
cost per location could be less than $300.

FR: Chris Angel President Great Lakes Clean Water
Conclusions based on six years of operating Yellow Jug Old Drugs Rx-Waste Collection/Disposal Program at pharmacies in the Great Lakes region.
Rationale for considering funding options
other than Full Producer Responsibility Funding
Benchmark Cost Per Pharmacy

		Large Scale-state wide and regional drug collection programs provide the most cost effective method of collection and disposal of unused/unwanted drugs. Having many locations under one umbrella program with a low administrative overhead is preferable to local programs providing service to a
smaller number of locations yet incurring similar administrative costs.

		Pharmacies are the most logical, convenient, safe and most effective locations for  proper collection and disposal of unused/unwanted drugs

		The Secure and Responsible Drug Disposal Act will now allow pharmacies to collect controlled substances in much the same manner they have been doing with Yellow Jug Old Drugs. This will provide even better access for citizens wanting to dispose of unused/unwanted drugs. Law enforcement will soon
be deferring collection of controlled substances to pharmacies and more pharmacies will be providing collection/disposal of Rx-Waste for their customers

		Independent pharmacies are willing to provide financial support to provide program to their communities. Chain pharmacies which make up a majority of pharmacies in the country should be strongly encouraged to participate to provide even greater access to citizens wanting to properly dispose of
unused/unwanted drugs.

		There are several reasons that citizens should be educated and encouraged to properly dispose of unused/unwanted drugs. These include; Environmental, Water Quality, Public Health and Safety and Substance Abuse Prevention. Individuals deciding to take action are motivated by sometimes more than one
concern. We feel that a primary focus on Great Lakes Water Quality is one of the major factors in the success of the Yellow Jug Old Drugs Program. The issue of water quality, whether it’s drinking water or lakes, rivers or streams for recreation, has been a unifying message while also
addressing the other concerns cited.

Sustainable Funding

		Long –term sustainable funding is critical to long term success of Rx waste collection and disposal programs. The Yellow Jug Old Drugs program is currently funded primarily by support from participating pharmacies with a small percentage funded by grants. It is the goal of GLCW to have
funding sustained by 1/3 pharmacies, 1/3 individuals and grant funding and 1/3 pharmaceutical companies.

		Some groups have supported the idea that the Pharmaceutical Industry should fund the entire cost of Pharmaceutical Collection/Disposal Programs. We have been encouraging them to consider funding that would include the Pharmaceutical Industry in the overall solution but not as
the only source of funding. It is our opinion that all of us; pharmacies, consumers and pharmaceutical companies contribute to creating drug waste and we all benefit by proper disposal so we should all be part of the solution to fund collection and disposal.

		Asking the Pharmaceutical Industry to be responsible for all the costs is a bit like asking the Automobile Industry to fund the operation of all junk yards recycling all unused automobiles.

		Some support the idea that the Pharmaceutical Industry should support all the cost of Rx-Waste collection/disposal much the same as the producers of electronics, paints, metals, plastics etc. help fund programs to recycle those items. The major difference being that these recyclable items have
some value in the marketplace so it is advantageous for producers to help fund collection of these materials. Rx-Waste is never recycled and has no value. It is collected and taken to a High temp incinerator for complete destruction.

		We have seen some estimates for funding collection programs at pharmacies in the range of $2000-$2500 per location. It has been our goal to operate the Yellow Jug Old Drugs Program at the lowest possible cost to reach the maximum number of people. We feel that this is critical to educate the
greatest number of people about the importance of proper disposal for Rx-Waste.

Benchmark Cost Per Pharmacy $300 per year

		We have demonstrated that the maximum cost per location is $300 per year. This includes all materials to collect unused/unwanted drugs, posters, hand-outs and the transport of collected Rx waste for ultimate disposal/destruction at a high temperature incinerator. Currently the program has 352
pharmacies participating in MI,IL, WI and IN. OH to be added in October 2015. PA NY to be added in 2015 and we will soon be offering the program to other states. Because of the economy of scale, as the number of pharmacies increase it is feasible that the cost per location could be less than
$300.

		Having effectively demonstrated that a collection/disposal program can operate very successfully within a budget of $300 per location will be beneficial especially for local and state governments to compare costs that they incur to operate Rx-Waste collection/disposal programs. It will also
provide a benchmark for actual costs of a collection/disposal program to aid in planning any legislative efforts.

I hope the thoughts that I have shared will be the start of a deeper conversation amongst all interested parties about long-term, sustainable funding for Rx Waste collection/disposal programs.
Chris Angel, GLCW
President