[Pharmwaste] RE: Pharmacies in 3 States Can't Take Back Controlled

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Fri Feb 6 17:48:11 EST 2015

Everyone who works with take backs should talk with their Board of Pharmacy to see what is allowed. Most BoP statutes prohibit possession of ALL legend pharms (not just the controlled substance portion), to the person to whom they are prescribed. Like DEA, their regulations didn't address take backs because there was no such thing. Pharmacists can possess the stock and distribute, I suppose nurses can possess for the purpose of dispensing, but pharmacists can't possess what has been sold. HW transporters can't possess, WTE's can't possess. You can't possess on behalf of anyone other than your pet or child under 18. Although most state's statutes restrict both the possession of pharms and sharps to the person to whom they are prescribed, they have exercised enforcement discretion for waste haulers who dispose of them.

We worked with our BoP to revise their statutes several years ago to allow law enforcement, permitted waste management facilities and licensed transporters to possess legend drugs for the purpose of participating in a waste pharm collection program operated in compliance with rules, regs, ordinances...It also allowed for "people" to possess legend pharms for the purpose of disposal at a registered collection site.

Now the Board is revising the statutes again to add in pharmacists and to take out "people", since DEA and many local ordinances don't allow possession of CS by anyone other than the person they are prescribed to. We asked the Board if they would do a similar fix for sharps at the same time, but they are concerned it could bollix things up at the legislature. They plan to do it next year. Meantime, they will continue not to enforce possession limitations for sharps.

I think our BoP has about 10 staff, if that. They cover a lot of territory. They've been awesome to work with, I hope that yours are great partners too!

JV