[Pharmwaste] Hospice drug disposal

Chris Angel, President info at greatlakescleanwater.org
Fri Jan 9 08:28:18 EST 2015

Stephanie, I'm replying to you-that would be an important group to help educate about proper disposal. Our program in the Great Lakes was started as a result of some of us who had direct contact with Hospice organizations and Hospice patients. One of our founders was nurse with a Hospice
organization. I will attach the link to the Yellow Jug Old Drugs Documentary where she talks about her experiences. The film will all provide some insight into the environmental issues relating to improper Rx waste disposal. Most hospice groups do still have protocols in place that require staff to
flush all unused meds to get rid of and to reduce potential for diversion. Families may be able to take rx waste to drug collection programs in their states and with recent DEA regs enacted to allow pharmacies to no collect controlled substances for disposal (if they choose to do do) caregivers, and
families have additional options available for proper Rx waste disposal. Hopefully these changes will also see Hospice organizations reviewing their policies re rx waste disposal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy4zgVtNPbo&index=3&list=FL0hI_MiIFrdXFMeU2Hb5aEA

Chris
Angel