[Pharmwaste] RE: Disposal product

Waters, Tom twaters at seminolecountyfl.gov
Fri Jan 9 16:11:16 EST 2015

We have seen several similar products over the years; not specifically for pharmaceuticals, but for medical sharps or x-ray waste containing silver.  Some of them have claimed to be "Biodegradable" - my least favorite word in the environmental dictionary.

Each individual waste generating facility must make a waste determination.  Here in Central Florida, we often interpret that to mean the generator would have to have the treated waste tested (TCLP) to determine if it a hazardous waste.  In addition, the landfill still may not accept the material unless it is well bell the haz waste limits.

I don't remember coming across the terminology "...standard for non-retrievable established by...EPA..." before, either.
Tom Waters
Environmental Programs Manager
Solid Waste Management Division
Seminole County Government