[Pharmwaste] New DEA chief to revive Take Back Initative

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Mon Jul 13 11:49:54 EDT 2015

Deb,

Thanks for passing on this important news.

In the NPR interview, acting DEA Chief Chuck Rosenberg explicitly says he will be reviving their Take Back Program.

Speaking of what he learned coming into his new job, "Probably the most shocking thing to me was the number of people that die everyday in the United States from a drug overdose."

"We are attacking supply abroad.  We are attacking demand domestically.  I think one without the other is foolish."

"We need you to clean out your medicine cabinet.  We need you to give us the stuff in your medicine cabinet that can hurt you or your loved ones.  More to come but, we're going to revive that program and we are going to do it in every state in this country."

Chuck (as he wants to be called), wants to prioritize DEA's efforts where they will make the biggest difference.
He sounds great to me!

Until there is widespread pharmacy participation in take back, the DEA program will allow far more people to have access to a safe disposal method.

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381