[Pharmwaste] Clarification: Santa Clara Just Can't Wait!

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri Oct 2 13:10:45 EDT 2015

Christine Flowers asked me to post the following clarification.
Though this change in timing makes my subject line misleading, I stick to my conclusion...they are doing a great job in Santa Clara!

I would like to make a clarification for the listserv.  The Santa Clara Valley Water District awarded the grant to CPSC and the project partners Santa Clara County and the City of San Jose in 2014 before the ordinance was passed and before the DEA released the updated regulations.

When the ordinance is fully implemented the existing infrastructure of collection bins, including any that we can get placed through this grant, are supposed to be supported through the stewardship plan.  Until then, the host locations are responsible for the disposal costs as we can’t pay for them through the grant.  We have been encouraging the local law enforcement agencies to use the Covanta RX4Safety program.
Christine
California Product Stewardship Council
Christine Flowers-Program Manager     Christine at CalPSC.org<mailto:Christine at CalPSC.org>

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381