[Pharmwaste] Electronic pill bottle recycling question

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Tue Oct 27 22:03:19 EDT 2015

Soooo, can these bottles be reused by the patient/pharmacist? Do people using mail back envelopes have to keep the pills in their original container? Not all bin programs require medication to be in the original container at the time of disposal, some prefer no containers. I recommend keeping liquid pharms and controlled substances in their originals containers (in case you get pulled over on the way to the drop box and have to demonstrate they are yours).

Are you reusing the electronics? If not, they look like they are about the size of what you’d find in greeting cards, jump drives, many LED light bulbs, light up buttons…etc. I like that you are thinking recycling, but they seem to fit in the category of all of the other problematic little devices with circuit boards, a tiny LED and a battery. Possibly more labor and transport than it might be worth to recycle them? Reuse would be better if that is possible, but you’d have to get them back empty. If they don’t need to be returned with the meds, they could go to any electronics recycler?

Just some thoughts,
JV