[Pharmwaste] NATIONAL RX WASTE COLLECTION PROGRAM

Chris Angel chrisangel at greatlakes-us-cleanwater.org
Mon Aug 22 17:26:12 EDT 2016

NEWS RELEASE             Issue Date 8.22.16                Contact Chris
Angel 989-335-5507

Yellow Jug Old Drugs expanding to National Program

Since its formation in 2008 Great Lakes/US Clean Water (GLCW/USCW) has
been a leader and an innovator in collection and disposal of
unused/unwanted drugs in a safe and approved manner. Proper disposal of
Rx-Waste helps keeps our drinking water, lakes, rivers and streams
clean, keeps our kids safe and makes our communities a better place to
live.

  Great Lakes /US Clean Water is now announcing plans to expand its
program nationally. According to Chris Angel, GLCW/USCW President, this
will be the largest expansion of the Yellow Jug Old Drugs Program since
its formation.

The Yellow Jug Old Drugs Program is the only Rx-waste Program operated
by a Non-Profit in the country. It is the second largest in the country
in number of pharmacies participating. GLCW/USCW is the first non-profit
organization in the United States to be licensed as a Reverse
Distributor by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Reverse Distributor
designation is required to accept controlled substances from pharmacies
for proper destruction. GLCW/USCW is one of 27 Reverse Distributors in
the country.

Angel adds, “We knew that establishing our base in Detroit would help
facilitate expansion, however it’s happening at a faster pace than we
originally anticipated”

The groups expansion program is being aided by a Private Foundation
based in Michigan. The goal of the Initiative is to;
1. Expand the number of Rx-waste collection sites in very state
2. Expand the number of Chain pharmacies participating. (Currently
independent pharmacies participate in greater numbers.)
3. Help GLCW/USCW expand its funding base to further ensure program
sustainability and shared funding responsibility for Rx waste collection
and disposal.

Currently, the program fee that pharmacies pay ($300 per year) is the
primary funding source.

Angel states, “While this provides a sustainable model, we have always
promoted a funding model where pharmacies do not provide all the
funding.  Our goal is 1/3 pharmacy,1/3 consumers  and  1/3
pharmaceutical companies. Fortunately, now with the help of this
Foundation initiative we will be able to start working towards that goal
while also increasing the number of locations across the country where
people will be able to take unused/unwanted drugs for proper disposal”

The Foundation is providing seed funding and technical support to help
kick start the new initiative and is encouraging other foundations,
organizations, companies and individuals to get on board. The Private
Foundation based in Michigan has asked to remain anonymous. Angel adds.
They approached us and we are so grateful for this opportunity. The
members of this Foundation are committed to Clean Water, especially
water in the Great Lakes Region. They told us early on that is where
they wanted the focus to be, not on who was providing assistance with
this initiative”

Angel added “Water is vital to everyone. When I do a presentation on the
topic, I start by asking participants to raise their hand if they drink
water. All hands go in the air. Everyone wants clean water!! This is an
environmental issue that working together as a community of concerned,
active individuals we can do something about.”

To add your name to growing list of those that are supporting this
project contact Chris Angel, President GLCW/USCW at 989 335 5507 or
e-mail at ChrisAngel at GreatLakes-US-CleanWater.org
For Volunteer Info Contact
VolunteerCoordinator at GreatLakes-US-Cleanwater.org

--
Chris angel, President

www.GreatLakes-US-CleanWater.org

www.YellowJugOldDrugsProgram.com