[Pharmwaste] Do Today’s Disruptive Technology Trends in removing Pharmaceuticals-OTC Medications-Vitamins from the environment threaten the take-back arena?

Seery, Scott, Env. Health scott.seery at acgov.org
Wed Aug 24 14:57:51 EDT 2016

Is this marketing SPAM?

From: Pharmwaste [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Lawernce Kenemore Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:39 AM
To: Pharm Waste
Subject: [Pharmwaste] Do Today’s Disruptive Technology Trends in removing Pharmaceuticals-OTC Medications-Vitamins from the environment threaten the take-back arena?

These days someone or something is tossing curveballs into the game, unsettling the entrenched programs, sowing seeds of discontent among the entrenched and then the entrenched disrupting the flow of information to protect their best “vested” interest instead of the environment.
Is it bad to get jerked around into radical departure from the way this business has operated?  Finding yourself writing off programs that have served you well for generations, is that bad?  Sending well-seasoned entrenched managers to the showers for their outmoded thinking?  The answer is an emphatic yes.
Disruptive change can be brought about by technology.  Look at your today’s environment where technology has made people’s lives better and more efficient.
We at Stat-Medicament-Disposal Corporation use technology to determine the exact weight of Pharmaceuticals-OTC Medications-Vitamins that are collected by address/location.  Is that bad?  I do not think so since we find that take back programs have been “cooking the books” so to speak by adding in the weight of bottles-glass etc. in their reported numbers.  You should be viewing the data monster as the disrupter not the person that uses it.
Is a system that destroys Pharmaceuticals-OTC Medications-Vitamins in the home a disrupter technology?  Look at the system:
                                                                It destroys more than just Pharmaceuticals (Opioids-etc.)
The entrenched industry uses the opioid epidemic to scare the public into joining their program and then gets grants from the State and or Federal government.  What about the other Pharmaceuticals-OTC Medications-Vitamins that are polluting our drinking water?  Is this not a disruptive technology that accomplishes more than the take back programs?
The public is not satisfied with the widening gulf between the entrenched decision makers and themselves.
The true disruptive forces lie in the hearts and minds of the public that is looking not just at costs but for a better solution to remove Pharmaceuticals-OTC Medications-Vitamins from our drinking water.  We have found from presentations at Senior Centers-Lions Clubs etc. that it is not just “opioids” that concern them but all the other Pharmaceuticals-OTC Medications-Vitamins that they have to get rid of.
What is the mission of take back programs?  If and when the public turns their attention to look at where the money is being spent, the actual costs, it may not be a good time to be invested in an entrenched out-moded program that does not meet the demands of the public.