[Pharmwaste] Massachusetts Drug Abuse Prevention Law: 7-day opioid prescription limit

Suzy Whalen suzy at productstewardship.us
Tue Mar 15 11:42:04 EDT 2016

Good morning,

In addition to establishing a first-in-the-nation statewide drug take-back program, the MA drug abuse prevention law, signed yesterday<https://productstewardship.site-ym.com/news/279623/Governor-Signs-Massachusetts-Drug-Abuse-Prevention-Bill-First-State-to-Mandate-Drug-Take-Back.htm> by Governor Charlie Baker, also includes a 7-day opioid prescription limit. You can find more information on this provision below.

·         H. 4056<https://malegislature.gov/Document/Bill/189/House/H4056.pdf> limits first-time opioid prescriptions for adults, and all opioid prescriptions for minors, to a 7-day supply.

·         Exemptions include chronic pain and cancer treatment, and all exceptions must be documented in the patient’s medical record.

·         The 7-day limit has the support of the Massachusetts Medical and Dental societies.

The section number, summary, and full subsection language are below for context.

SECTION 24 - 7-Day Prescription Limits for adults and children

SUMMARY: Under this section, the first time a patient obtains a prescription for an opioid, the patient will be limited to receiving a 7-day supply. Minor patients are limited to 7-days for each prescription and a parent must be notified of the risks of addiction. This section provides an exception for acute conditions, chronic pain management, cancer and palliative care diagnoses with prescriber documentation of the need for medication.  This shall not apply to MAT prescriptions.

Section 19D. (a) When issuing a prescription for an opiate to an adult patient for
248 outpatient use for the first time, a practitioner shall not issue a prescription for more than a 7-day
249 supply. A practitioner shall not issue an opiate prescription to a minor for more than a 7-day
250 supply at any time and shall discuss with the parent or guardian of the minor the risks associated
251 with opiate use and the reasons why the prescription is necessary.
252 (b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), if, in the professional medical judgment of a
253 practitioner, more than a 7-day supply of an opiate is required to treat the adult or minor patient’s
254 acute medical condition or is necessary for the treatment of chronic pain management, pain
255 associated with a cancer diagnoses or for palliative care, then the practitioner may issue a
256 prescription for the quantity needed to treat such acute medical condition, chronic pain, pain
257 associated with a cancer diagnosis or pain experienced while the patient is in palliative care. The
258 condition triggering the prescription of an opiate for more than a 7-day supply shall be
259 documented in the patient’s medical record and the practitioner shall indicate that a non-opiate
260 alternative was not appropriate to address the medical condition.

Please feel free to reach out to PSI’s Vivian Futran Fuhrman<mailto:vivian at productstewardship.us> with questions at (617) 236-4771. You may also reach out to Scott Cassel<mailto:scott at productstewardship.us>, PSI’s chief executive officer, at (617) 236-4822.

Thanks,
Suzy
Suzy Whalen
Outreach and Communications Coordinator
Product Stewardship Institute, Inc.
29 Stanhope St., 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02116
P: (617) 236-8293 F: (617) 236-4766
TTY: please dial 711 or 800-439-2370; MassRelay<http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/massrelay/relay-svcs/tty-relay.html>
www.productstewardship.us<http://www.productstewardship.us/>
suzy at productstewardship.us<mailto:suzy at productstewardship.us>
Follow our Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Product-Stewardship-Institute/224328115936?ref=ts>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/productsteward> and Blog<http://productstewardshipinstitute.wordpress.com/>