[Pharmwaste] DEA chief on Take Back & "360-degree" strategy

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Fri Mar 25 09:17:16 EDT 2016

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/medication-nation-dea-plans-more-drug-take-backs-after-septembers-749000

Chuck Rosenberg, acting head of the Drug Enforcement Administration, spoke with the House Appropriations subcommittee on March 22.

"Four out of five heroin users started on pills, and many people who use or abuse opioid pain pills get them from a friend or relative's medicine cabinet, Chuck Rosenberg, acting head of the Drug Enforcement Administration, told Congress earlier this week.  "And that's why we have reinstituted our national take-back program."Rosenberg noted that the most recent take-back day, in September 2015, was a big success..."

"He said the DEA is approaching the opioid problem with a "360-degree" strategy<http://www.dea.gov/divisions/hq/2015/hq111015.shtml>, including keeping pain pills in the legitimate stream of commerce, attacking the supply side, and trying to reduce demand  through education and treatment and prevention.  "If we don't start knocking down the demand side, we can't possibly win against the supply side," Rosenberg said.

The 360 program is now being tested in four cities -- Pittsburgh, St. Louis, West Memphis (Ark.) and Milwaukee."
"...he would like to expand the 360 program if he can."

Way to go Chuck!

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433