[Pharmwaste] Great overview of opioid crisis

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Thu Aug 10 09:15:32 EDT 2017

Well done piece on the opioid addiction epidemic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-opioid-epidemic-a-national-public-health-emergency_us_598b0179e4b0f25bdfb320c9

News headlines are all about the president declining to follow his commissions recommendation to declare a state of emergency to free up funds.
I don't think information on what the presidential commission recommended was previously posted here.
Taken from the story above, "Public-private partnerships should also be established to implement drug take back programs so that consumers can return medications to pharmacies on any day, ensuring that unused opioids are not available for misuse by others in the home.”  (Item #3, of 10).
By promoting, "public-private partnerships", I see this recommendation as subtly biased against EPR, where the relationship is more a regulator-regulated than partnership.
Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Board Member, New York Product Stewardship Council
fax: (607) 273-8433