[Pharmwaste] LTCF's--are they being served?

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Tue Dec 19 16:38:06 EST 2017

Hello people,
Just checking in whether anyone knows if Long Term Care Facilities are being assisted by pharmacies hosting collection bins, if they are using the deactivation units or contracting with a service to have pharm waste hauled off-site. I did a bit of googling, but it all ends with "contact us to find out more information" and I don't feel like calling a bunch of places to confirm whether they accept controlled substances, or whether LTCFs and other healthcare facilities are using these services. I also welcome replies by companies that provide these services. I'm mainly trying to figure out if the barrier is cost, or whether there is no significant options available for LTCF's.

Thank you!
Jennifer Volkman
Statewide HHW Program Coordinator
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency