[Pharmwaste] Smart Sink Waste Disposal

Scarborough, Jill R. Jill.R.Scarborough at dep.state.fl.us
Fri Jan 27 14:43:32 EST 2017

Hi All,

I'm sending this out for Charlotte.

-Jill Scarborough

Hi Tom,

We have worked with clients using Smart Sink who seem very happy with it. If you are stocking any controlled substances that become hazardous waste, you must either plan to manage all the used cartridges as hazardous waste or determine which nursing units would be discarding them and dispose of the cartridges as either hazardous or non-hazardous pharmaceutical waste,  accordingly. We recommend using Smart Sink only for controlled substance wastage that is out of the pharmacy's inventory, per DEA clarifications.  I hope that is helpful.

Best regards,

Charlotte A. Smith, RPh, MS
Senior Regulatory Advisor
PharmEcology Services, WM Sustainability Services