[Pharmwaste] Hot dog, a collection!

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Mon Jan 30 16:20:16 EST 2017

Though it happened by coincidence, Folly Beach, SC held a drug collection event in conjunction with a hot dog-eating contest this past weekend!  What an unusual outreach method!

Trying to think of a slogan to use if we decide to copy them.  Maybe, "Eat too many hot dogs (or unwanted medications) and you will get sick!"  A Folly Beach public safety officer told me the event was a success.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/get-rid-of-unwanted-prescribed-drugs-during-taste-of-folly/article_3c99934e-e4a3-11e6-b682-8b43a4a1196c.html

Strangely, the news story reports that,
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is in the process of approving new regulations that implement the Safe and Responsible Drug Disposal Act of 2010, which amends the Controlled Substances Act to allow patients or their family members to dispose of controlled substance medications at authorized locations, Folly's public safety agency said.
The reporter told me he found this [outdated] information on the DOJ website.  He will send the link if he can find it again.

What other unusual event pairings should we be considering as outreach tools?
Please consider sharing what you have done with the group.  Thanks!

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator
Ithaca Area Wastewater Treatment Facility
525 3rd Street
Ithaca, NY  14850
(607) 273-8381
fax: (607) 273-8433