[Pharmwaste] Take-back location search engines

Volkman, Jennifer (MPCA) jennifer.volkman at state.mn.us
Tue Sep 5 19:19:12 EDT 2017

Over the years we've tried to populate/correct several sites, but quit and stuck with Earth-911.
We had great luck adding our first ~180+ sites into their system and we link to it from our website. However, we haven't been able to add sites for well over a year. I was hoping it would continue to be our go-to site, but after several attempts to call and email them to set me up to add/correct sites, I haven't received a response. My co-worker, who did the site entry initially, also had no luck. The Walgreens locations are not in the E-911 system, at least not for MN.

I looked at the DEA site a bit over a year ago to see if it would make sense to switch to that system, but it doesn't include law enforcement based sites. Does anyone know why? Perhaps they don't require them to notify anymore, so they have no way of knowing?

I'm past the point where I need to decide whether to continue with E-911 or to maintain our own list. I agree that we don't have one great system that works nationally and because of that, I also agree that local lists are probably best. I have no idea how what amount of resources it would take to collect everything out there into one, and then if that was done, whether the existing sites would link to it over their lists/search engines.

But the icing on the cake is to see the link below for MN. HA! I didn't even know it existed. It was set up by the AG's office and was probably done as part of a report they created for MN on opioid use, treatment, prevention, collection, etc. They consulted no one from our State Opioid Oversight Project, which is a multi-state agency work effort, or anyone from any agency that was working on related issues. The report they produced, for the legislature, made numerous recommendations, none or few of which were supported by the people who have been working for years on the issue. We did work on updating their list, I guess we better talk! They do also refer people to our website, so that's good.

FYI, The AG's report resulted in legislation being introduced in several areas. There were two collection related recommendations introduced. One was to require all sheriff's offices to collect. At that point we only had 4 counties that didn't have law enforcement collection, and the majority of those sites are at police stations, not sheriffs, so that was uninformed. The second was to require all pharmacies to collect, also not a good use of resources. They died for lack of support, but I got a promo email from the AG stating it had been done. :/