[Pharmwaste] Updates on two NY drug take-back programs

Vivian Futran Fuhrman vivian at productstewardship.us
Thu Feb 22 10:52:58 EST 2018

Good Morning,

As many of you know, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation has added 172 new locations<http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/112694.html> to its two-year pilot drug take-back program, bringing the total number of locations to 246. Collections are expected to begin this April, and Governor Cuomo's Proposed Executive Budget for 2018-19 includes an additional $1 million to support the program. Many congratulations to the NY DEC! We are thrilled that New York State is taking great strides to expand safe drug disposal.

In addition, as you'll remember from our recent press release<http://www.productstewardship.us/news/news.asp?id=385486>, the Product Stewardship Institute and New York Product Stewardship Council launched a drug take-back pilot program<http://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/video/drug-take-back_20180215000716/974271729> earlier this month with five hospitals in New York State (separately from DEC's program). We have set up a new project webpage<http://www.productstewardship.us/?page=NYdrugtakeback> with project resources and information. Collection rates through our hospital kiosks and mail-back envelopes are already much higher than expected, and the program is getting great press:

*  RGH participates in drug take back pilot program<http://www.productstewardship.us/resource/resmgr/psi_in_the_news/2018.2.18_RGH_participates_i.pdf> | WXXI News
*  Rochester General starts pilot drug take-back program<http://www.productstewardship.us/resource/resmgr/psi_in_the_news/2018.2.15_Rochester_General_.pdf> | Democrat & Chronicle
*  Drug Take Back<http://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/video/drug-take-back_20180215000716/974271729> | Rochester First | February 2018
*  RGH taking back unused prescriptions in new program<http://www.productstewardship.us/resource/resmgr/psi_in_the_news/2018.2.14_RGH_taking_back_un.pdf> | WHAM
*  Bassett, O'Connor to accept leftover Rx drugs<http://www.productstewardship.us/resource/resmgr/psi_in_the_news/2018.2.8_Basset_Oconnor_to_a.pdf> | The Daily Star | February 2018
*  Ogdensburg, Gouverneur hospitals collecting leftover drugs for disposal<http://www.productstewardship.us/resource/resmgr/psi_in_the_news/2018.01.02_Ogdensburg_Gouver.pdf> | North Country Now
*  Two new prescription drug disposal sites come to St. Lawrence County<http://www.productstewardship.us/resource/resmgr/psi_in_the_news/2018.2.7_Two_new_presciption.pdf> | Watertown Daily Times

We look forward to another 5+ months of safe drug disposal and public education!

Best,
Vivian
Vivian Fuhrman, Ph.D.
Sr. Associate for Policy and Programs
Product Stewardship Institute, Inc.
29 Stanhope St., 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02116
P: (617) 236-4771 F: (617) 236-4766
www.productstewardship.us<http://www.productstewardship.us/>
vivian at productstewardship.us<mailto:vivian at productstewardship.us>
The Product Stewardship Institute, Inc. is an equal opportunity provider and employer.