[Pharmwaste] NYS Drug Take Back Act Signed Into Law!

Ed Gottlieb EGottlieb at cityofithaca.org
Wed Jul 11 10:18:39 EDT 2018

Happy to report that Governor Cuomo signed the NYS Drug Take Back Act into law.

Doubt about his signing was raised in a recent news story (below) reported he was being lobbied by manufactures to veto the bill.  The Governor kept us on the edge of our seats, waiting until the deadline day to sign it.

Signed:  http://www.weny.com/story/38615472/nys-senate-announces-drug-take-back-act-has-been-signed-into-law

...Riverkeeper and other environmental advocates are expecting Cuomo to sign the bill in short order. But Cuomo may be feeling pinched from both sides. The deep-pocketed pharmaceutical industry isn’t happy<https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2016/05/03/drug-take-back/> about having to clean up after itself and its consumers, and is lobbying local and state officials. http://nyacknewsandviews.com/2018/07/earth-matters-drug-take-back-act/

Environmental Groups Offer Lukewarm Review Of NY Legislative Session With Much Work Left Aside
"New York League of Conservation Voters President Marcia Bystryn echoes that at a statewide level there were a few positives but overall it was a lackluster performance by the legislature for the environment.   "One thing we’re particularly pleased they took up was the Drug Take Back Act because  there is a tendency for people to throw unused medications in the toilet which as a consequence contaminates the water supply. What was left on the table were a number of pieces of legislation we were actively supporting which just did not get anywhere, and also quite frankly the prohibition on offshore drilling, none of those moved.”

http://wamc.org/post/environmental-groups-offer-lukewarm-review-ny-legislative-session-much-work-left-aside

Ed Gottlieb
Chair, Tompkins County Coalition for Safe Medication Disposal
(607) 273-8381<tel:(607)%20273-8381>