[Pharmwaste] [EXTERNAL] FYI: FDA Unveils Public Education Campaign on Safe Opioid Disposal

Margaret Shield margaret.shield at cehstrategies.com
Tue Apr 23 18:30:37 EDT 2019

RE FDA's medicine disposal guidance: in recent months I have noticed a small
shift in FDA's emphasis on disposal options that is an improvement towards
clarifying that secure medicine take-back programs are preferred over
flushing drugs, or trashing them, even for the drugs on the "flush list".
The improved, albeit still not optimal, messaging is in an infographic that
lists the first question as "Do you have a drug take-back option readily
available?". Here's the infographic in thumbnail:

The infographic is linked from this central page: "Disposal of Unused
Medicines: What You Should Know":

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafel
y/ensuringsafeuseofmedicine/safedisposalofmedicines/ucm186187.htm

A challenge with FDA's messaging on the website is that all 3 disposal
options for consumers - take-back, flushing, trashing - are described and
intermingled on web pages, often without a consistent hierarchy. Sometimes
the images on the page provide a different emphasis that the text on the
page.

Also older guidances are still up, like on this page
https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm101653.htm

There's also still the glaring omission that local solid waste or wastewater
policies may differ from the FDA's guidance in discouraging flushing or
trashing.

Margaret Shield, PhD

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Community Environmental Health Strategies, LLC

 <mailto:margaret.shield at CEHstrategies.com>
margaret.shield at CEHstrategies.com

mobile:  206-499-5452

 <http://www.cehstrategies.com/> www.CEHstrategies.com