shrug-l: Hot-Linking Data from Internet Websites

Sykes, John John.Sykes@dep.state.fl.us
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:36:47 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C59934.3C02DA20

I've been fooling around with a small ArcGIS project to download current
National Weather Service (NWS) "NEXT-RAD" Doppler Radar GIF files from =
their
website into a GIS map of the Tallahassee area.  I can download the =
files
into the "myav9" folder using Internet Explorer, and then open ArcGIS =
and
bring the GIF file up into my map (using a world file to register it - =
then
converted the Geographical Coordinates to the FDEP Albers projection).

But what I would like to do, is to be able to link directly to the NWS
website when the Tallahassee area map is opened in ArcGIS, so that the =
latest
image is automatically downloaded into the GIS map.  I've tried using =
the URL
as the file folder location, but that just gives me an error message.  =
Any
suggestions?

The next step would be to have ArcGIS query the website every so often =
to see
if the GIF file has been updated (which happens every 5 to 10 minutes), =
and
if it has, reload the new version onto the map.  Of course the ultimate =
toy
is to have ArcGIS animate the map (the last 10 radar image sequence is =
stored
on the NWS website).

But for right now, I'd just be happy to have ArcGIS download the image =
from
the NWS website automatically, when the map is opened.

-- John

------_=_NextPart_001_01C59934.3C02DA20

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.0.6603.0">
<TITLE>Hot-Linking Data from Internet Websites</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">I've been fooling around with a small =
ArcGIS project to download current National Weather Service (NWS) =
&quot;NEXT-RAD&quot; Doppler Radar GIF files from their website into a =
GIS map of the Tallahassee area.&nbsp; I can download the files into the =
&quot;myav9&quot; folder using Internet Explorer, and then open ArcGIS =
and bring the GIF file up into my map (using a world file to register it =
- then converted the Geographical Coordinates to the FDEP Albers =
projection).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">But what I would like to do, is to be =
able to link directly to the NWS website when the Tallahassee area map =
is opened in ArcGIS, so that the latest image is automatically =
downloaded into the GIS map.&nbsp; I've tried using the URL as the file =
folder location, but that just gives me an error message.&nbsp; Any =
suggestions?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">The next step would be to have ArcGIS =
query the website every so often to see if the GIF file has been updated =
(which happens every 5 to 10 minutes), and if it has, reload the new =
version onto the map.&nbsp; Of course the ultimate toy is to have ArcGIS =
animate the map (the last 10 radar image sequence is stored on the NWS =
website).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">But for right now, I'd just be happy to =
have ArcGIS download the image from the NWS website automatically, when =
the map is opened.</FONT></P>

<P><B><FONT SIZE=3D5 FACE=3D"Monotype Corsiva">-- John</FONT></B>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C59934.3C02DA20--