shrug-l: Summary: ArcView 3.x crash on loading extension

Jay Johnson JohnsonJa@leoncountyfl.gov
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:38:50 -0400

Thanks to all that replied - most with the usually trustworthy "delete
the default apr" or "look for a corrupt extension" advice (which didn't
help this time).

Problem Summary:
The problem turned out to be that when we add an image catalog (tiff or
jpg) to an ArcView 3.2 project and the user has all the image support
extensions enabled (JPG, TIFF, MrSID) ArcView locks up on subsequent
attempts to access the Extensions dialog (File, Extensions).  MrSid
images don't appear to trigger this behavior.

Solution:
The work-around solution for existing projects is to delete the image
layer from the project, un-enable all the image support extensions
except the one pertaining to the image format needed, and re-add the
image layer.

If anyone has a fuller understanding of why image catalogs trigger this
behavior I'd be interested to hear about it...  It would also be useful
to know if other agencies besides TLCGIS experience this issue with
AV3.x and image catalogs.

Thanks!

***************
>>> "Jay Johnson" <JohnsonJa@leoncountyfl.gov> 8/17/2005 4:23:01 PM

I have a user on ArcView 3.x whose AV application will crash whenever
he
attempts to load an extension via the File, Extensions menu item.  It
never even gets to the Extension dialog, just sits and churns for a
minute and then AV bails without an error message.

Any thoughts on what might cause this sort of error?

Jay Johnson
Leon County Public Works
Tallahassee/Leon County Interlocal GIS