shrug-l: Looking for Suggestions

watry@steam.coaps.fsu.edu watry@steam.coaps.fsu.edu
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:16:39 EDT

Hi

I am looking for some ideas about software. I have been asked to teach
GIS to under Grad and Grad students.

Here is the situation:
1: we run MAC, Linux, XP on the desk tops. (I am looking for GIS software
that runs on all platforms.)

2. I can not incur a large recurring cost or high setup costs for
multiple machines.

What I have so far is:
Software              Cost                                      Platforms                  Comments
QGIS                   Free        (open source)          Mac, XP, Linux
limited XP
TNTLite                Free        (limited capability)    Mac, XP, Linux
limited data size
Grass                  Free        (open source)           Mac, XP, Linux
steep setup

3. For web services, It will start on a Linux (maybe windows server in 6
months)
Software
MN MapSever                     Free        (open source)
WebView Professional         $360       (Educational License that is
extension in ARCGIS)

If I get a Windows server
Software
MN MapSever       Free        (open source)
Manifold              $300        (fully functional)

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Gary Watry

GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
Floirda State University
Suite 200 Johnson Building
Tallahassee, Florida 32306

Phone: (850) 644-4174