shrug-l: It is again a ArcGIS thing ...

Tan, Yurong Yurong.Tan at va.gov
Tue Dec 13 11:03:38 EST 2005

Greetings!

I love the Shruggers!  Thanks for every replies.  The response is incredibly fast.  While I am writing this email, the responses are still coming in.

I believed the problem started a few months ago when I accidentally pasted some codes to the normal.mxt file to push some 92 million records (in text file) to ArcSDE and then I had to control-break to exit ArcMap.  Since then, I have tried re-installing the entire ArcGIS, renaming the Normal.xxx files or even deleting the entire …/Application Data/ESRI/…, but it did not work.

Here is the deal:

The most elegant solution is by Justin Saarinen [JSaarinen at jonesedmunds.com] of JEA to insert a few lines of VB codes in the normal.xxx.  The codes are relatively simple, but works fabulous.  You may contact him if you have the problem.

The suggestion by Marc Cooper (Marc_Cooper at URSCorp.com) solved half of my problem.  It worked fine for ArcCatalog, but not for ArcMap.  It was to ... resize your screen so that the application is visible, then reposition the application window to an area that will be visible when you set your screen resolution back to normal.

The suggestions by Clifton Ogden [ogdenco at USIENG.COM]and others to modify the REGISTRY is a little bit risky for many.

Happy Holidays!

-Yurong

Yurong Tan, Ph.D., Program Analyst/GIS                                  Email: Yurong.tan at med.va.gov

PSSG, field unit for the Office of the ADUSH (Policy & Planning)        Phone: 352-374-6080 (x5382)

Department of Veterans Affairs                                                                                Fax: 352-374-6119

300 E. University Avenue, Suite 430                                                                  Web: www.med.va.gov

Gainesville, Florida 32601  USA

They all gave some and some gave all!