shrug-l: Lat-Long

Paulsen, Janis Janis.Paulsen at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Dec 22 12:03:53 EST 2005

I thought I'd jump in here.  I just ran a little experiment.  I brought in
two differently projected shapefiles into ArcMap 9.0. They were reprojected
on the fly in ArcMap. In ArcMap, both shapefiles overlaid each other
correctly.  I set the dataframe coordinate system to GCS North American NAD
83 HARN.  I did a data export on both shapefiles selecting the "use same
coordinate system as data frame" option.  I then brought both shapefiles into
ArcView 3.x.  The both loaded into the apr, but did not overlay eachother.
This tells me that AcrView allowed them both to be brought in because they
were assigned the same coordinate system, but they were not actually
reprojected geometrically, since they did not draw in the same place in
space.  Interesting.

Janis