shrug-l: PDF woes

Jay Johnson JohnsonJa@leoncountyfl.gov
Wed, 18 May 2005 16:31:54 -0400

I've created a map book in ArcMap 8.x, exported the pages as PDFs and
assembled them into a single PDF document with clickable links between
pages.  Everything works, life is great.

I then apply Acrobat Standard Security to the PDF in Adobe Acrobat 5.0
(using the lowest encryption level, 40-bit so that users with older
versions of Reader supposedly can view it) and save it.  When I then try
to open the document in Acrobat Reader 6.0 a monochrome logo on the
first page turns purple and green and most of the other pages go totally
psychedelic, with wild strips of color behind the normal graphics.  The
document still opens fine in 5.0.  Adobe online support is not very
helpful.

Anyone have a similar experience and find a fix for it?  Bottom line: I
want to distribute this map book in a secure mode that doesn't allow the
users to make changes.

Jay Johnson
Leon County Public Works
Tallahassee/Leon County Interlocal GIS