shrug-l: SOLUTION: PDF woes

Jay Johnson JohnsonJa@leoncountyfl.gov
Fri, 20 May 2005 08:29:51 -0400

Thanks to Valerie Johnson for the solution to this one.

This apparently is a VERY specific version problem when PDFs as
exported from ArcGIS 8.3 (and with security subsequently applied in
Acrobat) are viewed in Adobe Reader 6.0.  According to a post on
PDFPlanet.com (see http://www.planetpdf.com/forumarchive/129389.asp for
the gritty details) ArcGIS v9 fixes this.  Since we are still in ArcGIS
8.3, our solution was to upgrade our Adobe Reader to version 7 and to
notify all users of the PDF that they will need Reader v7.

Jay Johnson
Leon County Public Works
Tallahassee/Leon County Interlocal GIS
(850) 488-8003

>>> "Jay Johnson" <JohnsonJa@leoncountyfl.gov> 5/18/2005 4:31:54 PM

I've created a map book in ArcMap 8.x, exported the pages as PDFs and
assembled them into a single PDF document with clickable links between
pages.  Everything works, life is great.

I then apply Acrobat Standard Security to the PDF in Adobe Acrobat 5.0
(using the lowest encryption level, 40-bit so that users with older
versions of Reader supposedly can view it) and save it.  When I then
try
to open the document in Acrobat Reader 6.0 a monochrome logo on the
first page turns purple and green and most of the other pages go
totally
psychedelic, with wild strips of color behind the normal graphics.
The
document still opens fine in 5.0.  Adobe online support is not very
helpful.

Anyone have a similar experience and find a fix for it?  Bottom line:
want to distribute this map book in a secure mode that doesn't allow
the
users to make changes.