shrug-l: Autobuffering(?!?!?)

Sykes, John John.Sykes@dep.state.fl.us
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:54:26 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5C50E.1155EF4A

Here's a hypothetical question.

It's easy to select a layer, create a buffer around it's features and =
select
the information from other layers that intersects or falls completely =
within
that buffer (you can use Select by Location, Edit Toolbar or the Buffer
Wizard).

But how about buffering a layer within itself?

Confused?  Here's an example of what I am looking for (purely =
theoretical).

Suppose I have a shapefile with points representing all the 100 Fire =
Stations
in a major city.  The city manager wants to know which Fire Stations are
within 2 miles of another Fire Station, with the thought that some of =
these
redundant stations could be closed and the resources better utilized.  =
How do
I create a buffer that would show this? or is using buffers even the =
right
way to go about it?  Keep in mind that I am not a programmer, so I'm not
looking for a complicated script or Python program to do this.  I'm =
primarily
looking for interactive ways of doing this with built-in ArcView/ArcInfo
tools/commands.

Suggestions are appreciated and, trust me, no Fire Stations are actually
subject to closure, I just thought that it was a good example.

-- John

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5C50E.1155EF4A

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.0.6603.0">
<TITLE>Autobuffering(?!?!?)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">Here's a hypothetical question.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">It's easy to select a layer, create a =
buffer around it's features and select the information from other layers =
that intersects or falls completely within that buffer (you can use =
Select by Location, Edit Toolbar or the Buffer Wizard).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">But how about buffering a layer within =
itself?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">Confused?&nbsp; Here's an example of =
what I am looking for (purely theoretical).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">Suppose I have a shapefile with points =
representing all the 100 Fire Stations in a major city.&nbsp; The city =
manager wants to know which Fire Stations are within 2 miles of another =
Fire Station, with the thought that some of these redundant stations =
could be closed and the resources better utilized.&nbsp; How do I create =
a buffer that would show this? or is using buffers even the right way to =
go about it?&nbsp; Keep in mind that I am not a programmer, so I'm not =
looking for a complicated script or Python program to do this.&nbsp; I'm =
primarily looking for interactive ways of doing this with built-in =
ArcView/ArcInfo tools/commands.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Arial">Suggestions are appreciated and, trust =
me, no Fire Stations are actually subject to closure, I just thought =
that it was a good example.</FONT></P>

<P><B><FONT SIZE=3D5 FACE=3D"Monotype Corsiva">-- John</FONT></B>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C5C50E.1155EF4A--