shrug-l: Introduction to ArcGIS classes in April

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Fri Feb 17 15:11:27 EST 2006

 Introduction to ArcGIS I & II Classes
April 17-18 & 19-21
At Keck & Wood in Duluth, GA
(ArcView 9.x, ArcEditor, & ArcInfo)

Keck & Wood, Inc. has scheduled Introduction to ArcGIS I & II Classes
for April. The Introduction to ArcGIS I class will be held on April
17-18. The Introduction to ArcGIS II class will be held on April 19-21.
The classes will be held at Keck & Wood's Corporate Office in Duluth
Georgia. Our office is located just behind Gwinnett Place Mall with easy
access to Interstate 85.

The classes will be limited to 8 students. If the total number of
students wishing to take the class exceeds the limit additional classes
will be scheduled. Keck & Wood will provide training computers,
software, an Authorized Instructor and all course materials needed to
complete the classes. However students wishing to provide their own
laptops will receive a discount off the normal class fee.

General Overview of Classes:

These classes introduce participants to ArcGIS(tm) (ArcView, ArcEditor,
& ArcInfo) and provide the foundation for becoming a successful user.
Participants learn how to use ArcMap(tm) and ArcCatalog(tm) and explore
how these applications work together to provide a complete GIS software
solution. Many States and professional organizations allow these classes
to be counted as PDHs or CEUs.

The Introduction to ArcGIS I course is a 2 day class designed for anyone
new to ArcGIS software (ArcView, ArcEditor or ArcInfo), new to GIS or
migrating from ArcView 3.x. This class covers fundamental GIS concepts
as well as how to create, edit, and work with georeferenced spatial data
(points, lines & polygons). Participants learn how to manipulate tabular
data, query a GIS database, and present data clearly and efficiently
using maps and charts.

The Introduction to ArcGIS II course is a 3 day class that continues to
build on the skills learned during the Introduction to ArcGIS I and
teaches students about some of the more advanced functions found within
the ArcGIS software suite such as spatial and attribute validation,
creating and using topologies, labeling and annotation, geoprocessing,
data conversion, spatial analysis, and geocoding. Those attending
classes will receive lecture and exercise manuals,  a CD-ROM containing
all data used in the class exercises, and a certificate of completion.

Prerequisites and recommendations:

Participants should know how to use Microsoft Windows and have some
basic understanding of databases or spreadsheets.

Cost:

Introduction to ArcGIS I - $750.00 per student (ESRI's advertised price
on their website $900.00 per student)

Introduction to ArcGIS II - $1,100.00 per student (ESRI's advertised
price on their website $1,350.00 per student)

Introduction to ArcGIS I & II - $1,750.00 per student

Payment must be received prior to the start of class. Discounts are
available for organizations that send two (2) or more students. Students
that are able to provide their own laptop able to run ArcGIS 9.x will
receive a 10% discount. Laptops will need to have at least a Pentium 4
processor or equivalent, 512 MB RAM, 10 GB free hard drive space,
Windows 2000 or XP PRO, and a wireless network card in order to run
ArcGIS 9.x. The student will also need administrative rights on the
laptop.

About the Instructor:

The classes will be taught by Tripp Corbin, an ESRI Authorized
Instructor and a GIS Certified Professional. Tripp has over 16 years of
GIS, mapping and surveying experience. He has provided training and
support to Keck & Wood's clients for several years on various software
packages including AutoCAD, Autodesk Map, MOSAIC, ArcView 3.x and
ArcGIS. He became an ESRI Authorized Instructor for ESRI's Introduction
to ArcGIS I course in September of 2003. In February of 2005, Tripp
became the first and currently only non-ESRI employee in Georgia to be
authorized to teach ESRI's Introduction to ArcGIS II course. Tripp is a
member of many professional organizations related to GIS including
SAMSOG, GAAO, GA URISA, FL URISA, SHRUG, and SERUG. He serves as the
Corporate Sponsor Chair for the Georgia Chapter of the Urban and Rural
Information Systems Association (
<outbind://111-00000000E091FE5EDE15134DBE1A0F4C95AD8A7A07008C4B2DB4A1908
5458B59AE2A0591CE3F00000000708F00008C4B2DB4A19085458B59AE2A0591CE3F00000
0197EAB0000/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.gaurisa.org/> GA
URISA).

Cancellation Policy:

To cancel a student's registration, written notice must be provided to
Keck & Wood, Inc. ten (10) working days prior to the class starting date
in order to receive a refund or to not be responsible for payment of the
class fee. Students that cancel less than ten (10) working days will be
allowed to attend a later scheduled class that is within six (6) months
of the initially registered class. Substitution of students is allowed
at no charge. Keck & Wood, Inc. reserves the right to cancel any
scheduled classes due to any conflicts with instructor schedules or low
student registration. A minimum of four registered students are needed
to constitute a class.

To register or for information about these classes or other GIS training
please contact Keck & Wood's GIS Department at:

(678) 417-4000

 <mailto:gistraining at keckwood.com> gistraining at keckwood.com

Other classes offered by Keck & Wood:

Instructor Led:

Fundamentals of ArcView 3.x

Importing AutoCAD data into ArcGIS (under development)

Importing Shapefiles & Coverages into Autodesk Map, Land Development
Desktop or Civil 3D (under development)

Virtual:

Introduction to Geoprocessing with Python in ArcGIS - $75.00

Introduction to VBA in ArcMap - $165.00

Advanced Labeling & Annotation in ArcMap - $75.00

Introduction to ArcObjects - $165.00

Creating .NET Web Services with ArcIMS - $75.00

Using Google Maps in your applications - $125.00