shrug-l: WGS84 vs NAD83 and data transformation

Jordan,Jonathan D jjordan at ufl.edu
Wed Jun 7 09:15:10 EDT 2006

Holli Brandt:

In this vein, just some twobits regarding metadata in such situations--regardless of what technical decision you make for the coordinate system, make sure that a record of the production history (including details about the computation precision as mentioned by J. Sykes in the previous post below) follows the dataset wherever it goes.  This can take the form of a simple readme.txt containing the info, if there is some geodetic/data-collection detail that you cant find a GIS-software readymade metadata-tool to handle.

In general, when it is necessary to do a quick-n-dirty workaround to get something like a poster graphic made in a timely manner, I wouldnt worry too much about the coord-system submeter fuzziness other than to record the history of what-was-done in the graphic's metadata for my own future reference, but when preparing a submeter real-deal dataset for archive/sharing, the coord-system of the original dataset (and its downstream processed versions and products) needs to be correctly specified regardless of whether this has to mention any original data-collection irregularities such as an awkward GPS setting.  Future users will appreciate the info (in several cases it would have saved me time spent sleuthing the production history of an out-of-house-supplied dataset), and after a few months of water-under-bridge, even the data-producer may well need to consult the detailed record they themselves created.

Sincerely,

Jack Jordan
UF-IFAS-CRS
jjordan at ufl.edu