shrug-l: REQUEST for info on doing GIS with a tablet PC

Bill VanSickle bvansickle at sjrwmd.com
Thu Mar 2 14:21:31 EST 2006

Dear SHRUGgies,

Have any of you had any experience with using a tablet PC to do GIS? I
want to put one in next year's budget, but I don't want to end up with
something that can't do the job. What should I watch for? What should I
spec? Do they have docking stations for desktop use, or should I just
"fake it" with a keyboard, mouse and monitor?

My main purpose for requesting one is so that I can meet with non-GIS
clients within the organization and find out what they want on their
map, then bring it back to the office and make it so.

Any experience from anyone who's been there and done that, or is also
considering it, would be appreciated.

   - beel

W. E. VanSickle
GIS Analyst III / ES Liaison